chocolate is stupid

well, it is.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

procrastination at all time high

i was thinking about the word 'tip' the other day.

see, i was in a toilet in old kirk and reading one of those posters they put up on the toilet doors (i love having something to read...). it was about recycling i think, and it was talking about saving happy valley - "the beach part, not the tip".

now at this point i was a little confused, thinking, "but surely the tip would be the beach, that is the bit that sticks out the furthest.." but then i remembered that tip is also the word my mum taught me to use as a child, meaning "place-where-the-rubbish-goes".

i now think of it as the southern landfill because i am boring and old. but being reminded of that word made me giggle. the tip. tip.
tip tip tip.
i mean, what a great name for a rubbish dump. the tip. "i'm off to the tip!" "just take it to the tip."

it made me wonder where the word came from. i think it is a new zealandism? maybe from "to tip the rubbish into the dump"? and from here i realised for such a short, silly word, tip certainly has a lot of responsibility.

- it is a rubbish dump.
- it is the outer precipice of something "the tip of the island/knife/tongue"
- it is what you give to a waiter/bellboy (money)
- it is a good idea or piece of advice you passs on to someone "let me give you a tip" "101 great gardening tips"
- it is what you do when you empty the contents of a container "tip out the bucket" "tip the melted butter into the bowl of sugar and mix well"
- it is what you do when you throw things "tip the microwave off the cliff"
- finally, it is the edge or verge of something "on the tip of insanity". this is kind of like the outer precipice definition, except more like a straight line or a fence rather than a point or steep curve.

you may be wondering what the point of this is. well, there is none really. just that words are cool and i am avoiding the desk where my homework is laid out all ready for me to stare at for the next four hours...

13 Comments:

At 25 March 2006 at 2:44 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

If you look up "tip" in wikipedia, it gives you the money-tip, so that's interesting. The disambiguation page says that "tip" is "Commonwealth English"...

I'm going to the ballet tonight.

 
At 25 March 2006 at 5:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heartiyl agree that tip is a great word.

English is simply fantastic as a general rule. Last month I started reading Fowler's guide to modern English usage. Thrilling. But I got a bit distracted by the time I got to the C's and then university called. I shall definitely resume Fowler in the holidays. Natlie, you must read Fowler - you will fall in love.

I am getting squid curry soon. Yum.

On another note: I assume the word verification at the bottom of the page is completely random. Therefore, what are the chances that an actual word would ever occur? My word today is "fnifhv"

 
At 25 March 2006 at 5:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh god. heartily. instead of heartiyl.

 
At 26 March 2006 at 2:03 pm, Blogger essie said...

Natalie I am so impressed! We'll make an English major of you yet :)

Dave, how was the ballet?

 
At 26 March 2006 at 9:21 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

They had a man-shower scene! A man-shower scene!

Other than that, it was cool. More like a musical than a normal ballet so I kinda understood it :P They didn't sing though.

 
At 27 March 2006 at 2:18 pm, Blogger Pete Williamson said...

I'm feeling pretty bkbwx...

I wonder if it ever produces swear words...

 
At 27 March 2006 at 9:43 pm, Blogger essie said...

hehe, yeah Cath told me about the man-shower scene. She said the higher up you were, the more you saw ('cause the seats were above the curtain). Saucy! Who says going to the ballet is boring :)

I've never seen the word verification thingy produce anything even close to a real word, so I find it hard to believe that it could produce a swear-word. But I could be wrong...

 
At 28 March 2006 at 10:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

foxsajso?

fox? saj? so? something about a small forest creature and a member of the police force....?

We might get a swear word one day soon...

 
At 30 March 2006 at 8:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's even more exciting than continually pressing Ran# on the calculator!

All hail yomcat's genius.

 
At 31 March 2006 at 8:58 am, Blogger Natalie said...

pluaesd

 
At 31 March 2006 at 9:40 am, Blogger Pete Williamson said...

pedjauts

as in "Hey, I'm hungry. Anyone want some pedjauts?"

 
At 31 March 2006 at 9:41 am, Blogger Pete Williamson said...

mirfy

as in

"I dunno about this food... looks a bit... mirfy..."

 
At 3 April 2006 at 10:32 pm, Blogger essie said...

Oh dear...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home