chocolate is stupid

well, it is.

Sunday, February 01, 2009

professional boundaries

(poem)

I
i saw a guy in the supermarket.
he looked like someone
i used to know.
it might have been him.
but if it was, he looks different from how he used to be.
he looked at me
like maybe he knew me
but should not (would not)
acknowledge it.
Professional boundaries.

II
it was just a glance
but if it was him, it was more than a glance.
i felt him look
analysis.

i don't think he would have seen much.
- though all of a sudden i became very self conscious of my food.
(suck in your stomach.
try to look normal.)

(but not too normal.)
i don't want him to think i'm 'fine'
i want him to notice me.


III
by now i am in the bakery section.
better not look interested - he may come back
and then what would he think?
"oh look. she eats bread."
how mortifying.

10 Comments:

At 1 February 2009 at 11:27 pm, Blogger qwandor said...

Is this something that really happened, or just imagination?

 
At 2 February 2009 at 12:28 am, Blogger Natalie said...

it really happened. i'm not that imaginative.

why?

 
At 2 February 2009 at 9:37 am, Blogger qwandor said...

Mostly just curious. I am trying to understand it.

 
At 2 February 2009 at 7:31 pm, Blogger essie said...

Question for God: why do we need attention from certain people?

And why do we never feel good enough around them?

Sigh. Attention people are stupid.
I spent 5 mins in the kitchen today having a conversation I didn't want to have, all because of an attention person. I HAVE to make them like me. sheesh.

And bread is awesome. I'd be interested in bread with you anytime :) But I like you more than bread.

 
At 2 February 2009 at 10:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I love you and bread equally. However, if you and a loaf were drowning in the river, I'd try to save you; one can always bake more bread.

 
At 2 February 2009 at 10:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. I like the poem.

 
At 2 February 2009 at 10:21 pm, Blogger qwandor said...

I would much rather talk to Natalie than to a piece of bread. Or even a whole loaf.

On the other hand, bread goes better with peanut butter. Or a banana.

 
At 3 February 2009 at 5:42 pm, Blogger bayla!!!!! said...

wow, that was beautiful, Manatalie! Like, actually! Wow. I'm impressed. So who's the guy, eh?

bayla
x0x0

 
At 6 February 2009 at 12:23 pm, Blogger Corinna said...

Cool poem! Greg (who is a nurse) is forever seeing people who think "Where do I know him from?", and Greg telepathically tells them "Don't ask, you may not have had underwear on"

 
At 3 August 2009 at 2:23 am, Anonymous Michael (P) said...

you are a talented writer, Natalie :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home