chocolate is stupid

well, it is.

Monday, July 23, 2007

the late night ramblings of someone who stuck with harry until the very end.

i have finished the book. i feel peaceful. and hopeful. and stronger, somehow.

love. friendship. faith. trust. courage. loyalty. sacrifice. grace.

these themes provoked something deep inside me while i was reading the book. i think it is something deeper than simply feeling a connection with the characters. i sobbed my heart out as the characters i have grown close to acted out these themes, not because i "love" them but because part of me realises how deeply applicable parts of the story are to my own life. perhaps i was created to react deeply to these themes the way i did. i love to see them acted out (yes, even in the lives of fictional characters :), and i yearn for these things to come into fruition more and more in my own life.

so yea. read harry potter, all of them. maybe i am trying to read more into it than there is. or maybe there is more. see for yourself!

i will leave you with two things that have stuck with me in my head as i read harry's last story:

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;
for love is as strong as death,
its ardor unyeilding as the grave.
It burns like a blazing fire,
like a mighty flame.

Many waters cannot quench love;
rivers cannot wash it away.
If one were to give
all the wealth of his house for love,
it would be utterly scorned.
- Song of songs 8:6-7, the Bible.

Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
- page 266, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Matthew 6:21, the Bible.

5 Comments:

At 23 July 2007 at 8:16 am, Blogger Unknown said...

At 1:55am you wrote this blog post. At 2am, you woke me up with a text message.

But on August the 11th you will come to a costume party at Dave's house. Woooooooo!

 
At 23 July 2007 at 10:35 am, Blogger Lisa said...

very well written natalie,

Eloquent, very eloquent.

'all was well'

 
At 23 July 2007 at 12:43 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

If I was Voldemort, most bestest wizard ever, master of powers, and so forth, I think I'd choose a better signature spell than "that one that backfired so badly on me one time that I nearly died". Otherwise it was pretty good.

 
At 23 July 2007 at 2:43 pm, Blogger Nathan Bayliss said...

Is J K Rowling a genius or is J K Rowling a Genius? IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!! ad at times, but awesome, just how so many little things fit togther, I mean, how did she do it?

 
At 24 July 2007 at 10:16 am, Blogger Ben said...

It has been said that the best stories are the ones that reflect THE big story of God - themes, values, links, and so on. Stories from Narnia and Middle earth, from the movies like Braveheart, etc, captured in songs even. Stories that make us want to live for something more than the mundane, to live a bigger adventure, to love more, to give of ourselves more,
Ecclesiastes 3:11 say's that God has set eternity in our hearts - and our hearts desire the things that are of eternal value. That's why I think these stories resonate with us so powerfully. So good on ol JK. I look forward to reading the books to Jakob on day. I think after perhaps the Narnia series, but before the Lord of the Rings. My personal favorite author who writes these sorts of stories is David Gemmel. After reading his books I always feel chalenged to live a better life, be a better person - to live and express the things that God values in my life.

Good post btw!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home